Relationship is vital in life, career and business. Whether, relationship with mentors, friends, family, employers, employees, etc
Philosophers say “human beings are social animals”. This means we can’t live without one another. No man can survive if isolated.
You need someone and someone needs you too. A buyer needs a seller and a seller needs a buyer. A doctor needs a patient and without the Doctor, the patient health is at stake too. Different profession needs each another.
Countries needs each other, no country manufactures all it needs. That is why most government policies favours import substitution and export promotion.
An adage says “Your network is your networth”. That is to tell you that who you are in relationship with matters alot. In relationship are numerous opportunities.
Relationship makes life easier and more productive. Your relationship with your boss, colleagues, friends, families etc matters. It could make or mar you.
That is why it is important you are deliberate about the relationship you keep.
Unfortunately, many are poor in keeping relationship anywhere they find themselves.
Poor relationship skill could affect your promotion to the next level at work, growth of your business,success of anything you lay your hands upon and so on.
However, getting the right knowledge will help you to keep your relationship with others. And guess what? That is what this post is all about.
This post will equip you with the knowledge and skills required on how to manage yourself relationship with people.
Getting these skill will be a life saver in all ramifications of your life. So, what are the ways to maintain relationship with people:
1. Have a relationship with yourself: That sound strange right? Well, until you have a cordial relationship with yourself, it will be impossible to keep your relationship with others.
This is because your self image affect everything about you including your relationship.
Most people with poor self image will likely have problem with their relationship with others. This is because they will take little things as a big deal. There is a saying that “You can be with someone and still feel lonely”.
This means that loneliness is a matter of who you are. Therefore, cultivate the habit of loving yourself and enjoying your own company.
This will make you determine your own happiness and not allow a third party determine when you should be happy.
Most people have negative self image because they focus more on their weakness than their strength. No man is perfect, stop hyping your flaws because you don’t have the worst of all problems.
Start working on building positive self image for yourself as this will go a long way to help you maintain good relationship with others:
2. Know who you are: The knowledge of who you are will go a long way to help you be better at keeping relationship with others. You have to access or examine yourself to know who you really are. What is your personality style? Are you sanguine, melancholic, choleric, phlegmatic? knowing your personalty style will help you identify your weakness and your strength. E.g one of the weakness of sanguines is lack of discipline. A sanguine who has the knowledge that one of his weakness is lack of discipline will always be careful of how he behaves per time. Having this knowledge will help him or her maintain a good relationship with others. There are varieties of personalty assessment tools and resources online to help you.
3. Enter every relationship with the mentality to give rather than receive: Remember, the purpose of relationship is to help one another and not to exploit one another.
Always receiving without giving in any relationship will bring about lopsidedness. The other person involve will one day feel “Used”.
You see, relationship strive when people involve gain from one another. Relationship work when individuals benefit from the relationship. Therefore, don’t enter any relationship with the mentality of receiving rather keep relationship with the intention to contribute.
There is always something you can offer in all relationship. You just have to look inward. It might be as little as your smile and words of encouragement.
Give appreciation, acknowlegment, Just give something beneficial to the other party too. By so doing, both of you grow together and automatically maintain the relationship.
Support others, let them know you love them. All this are ways of giving in relationship. However, it is worthy of note that you shouldn’t give with the intentions that the other people in relationship with you should give back too.
Rather, give because it is worthy to give. This is because people act with what they know, others might not know they are to give in any relationship. By continuous giving, you might even change their mentality.
4. Learn to say sorry: Ego has short-lived many relationship that started well. It has killed several relationship at their infant stage. You have to learn to say sorry when you are wrong. Kill that ego before it kill your relationship with others. Saying sorry isn’t a sign of weakness, rather it is a sign that you value your relationship because what can be avoided with ‘I’m sorry” shouldn’t be a reason for quarrel. Train yourself like that.
5. Carefully express yourself: The words we speak per time matters alot. To keep your relationship with others, you have to be intentiontional with your words. Words you speak and how you say it matters alot. Words can hurt and words can heal. Train yourself to carefully express yourself.
Here you have it,take active step today. Do you have any questions, kindly ask in the comment session?